One of the pieces that inspired this painting was Dogs fighting by Frans Snyders. It inspired me because of the detail that was put into it many depictions of animals found before the pre 17th century that I found did not have as much detail. Another painting that inspired me was Monarch of the Glen by Sir Edwin Landseer. Even though it was a painting after the 17th century, having the Stag so front and center inspired me to make a painting with deer as the main focal point.
When I started this piece I used a mechanical pencil to sketch out the details in the piece. This way I could get the details a close to life like as I can possibly do.
To make this into painting I used five different colors of acrylic paint. I used black, brown, green, white and yellow paints. For the paint brushes 6 different assorted paint brushes ranging from a liner brush to a wide acrylic brush. The canvas that was used was the Daler Rowney 11X14".
The reason I used acrylic paints instead of the oil paints is because oil paint is too expensive for me to personally buy. Since I am a college student I am on a tight budget. Another reason why I chose to use acrylics over oil is because I know that over time the painting would yellow if I used oil. Personally if I make something I want it to be just like how I made it for as long as possible to fully enjoy the piece.
What I did in the start of this project was sketched out both the buck and the doe. Both of them are two of the most detailed parts of this piece. After that I sketched out the outline of the current King and Queen of the Outlands. I tried to sketch them in detail, but this proved to be beyond my skills. Next, I sketched the border to mimic the pattern around the symbol of the Outlands. This concluded all of the pencil drawing I had done.
My first step to painting this project was to paint the border since it was the brightest part that had the least amount of detail. Next I painted the background so that I would have a base color to see the finer details I would be painting later. After that I started painting the base of both deer with what and light shades of brown with some yellow paint to give it a more natural look along. Slowly I started adding darker and darker shades of brown to certain parts of the deer the add more details. The second to last part of the deer I worked on were the antlers. They proved to be one of the most challenging parts of this project because of the shading and detail that was required to go into it. The next step I did was to use black paint for the silhouette and the fine details of the deer. I had to pay a lot of attention with this step because if I painted out of line with black it would be hard for me to fix that. My last major part of the painting I did was I outlined the King and Queen to make sure they popped out and were clearly visible. I wanted them to pop out is because even though the deer are a big part of the piece the King and Queen are just important and need to be recognized. To finish off this piece I cleaned up any rough edges and mistakes I made along the way.
If I had to change any part of this piece again i would of made an actual nature background instead of a solid green background. this would have made it more historically accurate to pre 17th century art. Another thing I would have changed is I would have liked to add detail to the King and the Queen instead of just having them be a silhouette. When I have more experience with fine details I may try to do just that.
Paint Type Differences